During an Outage
1. Never go near a power line!
2. Check your fuse box.
A blown fuse or tripped breaker is often the cause of a full or partial loss of electricity.
3. If your fuses or circuit breakers are fine...
Check with a neighbor to see if electricity is also off at their location.
4. Call or text the Cooperative to report the outage.
Call People's Energy Cooperative at 800-214-2694 or text 'Outage' to the short code supplied when you registered for outage texting. To set-up outage texting, click here and follow the instructions.
5. Report the name and address in which your account is listed.
Be prepared to report the name and address in which your account is listed, your account number, and your telephone number. All of these numbers can be found on your most recent bill.
6. State the cause of the outage.
If possible, describe the cause of the outage and its location to the best of your ability (e.g. tree across power lines, vehicle struck a utility pole, etc).